Wednesday, January 16, 2008

CURSE YOU, TOKYO KID!

Dammit. I've known something was up with their CDs for a bit now, and I stopped buying CDs from there a couple months ago just in case...
I was reading a guide to bootlegs (procrastinating, basically) and it mentioned three particular CD bootleg brands. I didn't recognize any of the names, but then it showed the logo for Alion, and my only reaction was-
SHIT.

Yeah, um....
Daaaammiiitttt......

I'm not at home right now (and I won't be until Friday night, unless we get really lucky and there's a snow day on Friday due to the snowstorm coming up), so I can't -actually- look through my CDs, but I have pictures from that post back in August where I sorted my music by release date. That was when I made the decision to stop buying CDs from Tokyo Kid, I think, so...
Well, let's see which of my CDs are actually bootlegs! Yay! [/sarcasm]
-Hamasaki Ayumi - I am...
-Kingdom Hearts OST
-Utada Hikaru - DEEP RIVER
-FFX-2 OST
-Naruto OST
-Naruto OST 2
-Shimatani Hitomi - Tsuioku+LOVE LETTER
-Naruto Best Hit Collection
-Hamasaki Ayumi - MY STORY
-Do As Infinity - NEED YOUR LOVE
-NANA OST
-Tamaki Nami - Single Collection Vol. 1 (actually, I knew this was a bootleg from the beginning, like an hour after I got it while I was leaving PortCon Maine I was like "wait why the HELL did I buy something that obviously isn't official...?")
-Kingdom Hearts II OST
-NANA starring MIKA NAKASHIMA - THE END

Oh, and I think my Naruto OST 3 and PoT OST 2 + 3 might possibly be bootlegs too, but they don't have the logo or anything on the obi so I'm not 100% sure...

A quote from that old post:
Everything I got at either Anime Boston, PortCon, or Tokyo Kid (the closest anime store) seems to be some sort of overseas version...I can't tell if they're bootlegs or legit overseas releases, like some of the earlier CDs I got off of Yesasia- I always used to go for the overseas versions cause they're cheaper. Hopefully the latter. I mean, that's 21 of my albums/soundtracks right there. o_o

Sadly, it's the former. Except the Anime Boston stuff. I can't tell for most of those, except the Ishida Yoko CD I got in 2005, that was the official English release.


I can't say I'll never buy from Tokyo Kid again (they have teh good Japanese candy), but I'm definitely NEVER even looking through the CD section again. I wanna know why I never -realized- until now. I mean, I had no idea what record label anime CDs were released under, but DAI? Ayu? The logo should have been an immediate tip-off, but sadly, I never even realized it. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now...

No comments: