Saturday, February 23, 2008

Kinokuniya purchases

My friend went to NYC for a couple days this week (Wednesday-Friday I think- it was vacation week for the public schools, so she had it off while I was stuck at school) and so while she was there, she picked up a few things from Kinokuniya for me.

At first I was debating what to ask her to buy, I heard somewhere that they have Hello! Project photobooks but she isn't a Hello! Project fan (she knows what Morning Musume is due to my random ranting, but that's it) and I didn't want her to have to ask about those since that would without a doubt be awkward for her. xD I also wanted something Prince of Tennis, but the only specific thing I could think of off the top of my head was the 30.5 illustration book and I didn't know how expensive that would be...which would be necessary because I had to give her the cash beforehand.
So this is what I ended up with:

Photobucket


SKET DANCE 2 - My second-favorite current Weekly Jump manga! =D Soon to be my favorite, as Prince of Tennis is ending at some unspecified time within the next month or so. (Somehow there's never been anything stated about the upcoming end, but everyone knows it's coming and the non-fans over at the Weekly Jump LJ community are uber quick to write it off every time there's a rumor. >_<)
I bought volume 1 a couple of months ago, I remember that that was the volume holding my Mikan copies back for a few weeks! I decided then never to buy manga from Yesasia again if there's an alternative. =) Volume 2 came out January 9th, and it features uber cute chibis on the cover!! 8D Kind of fitting, because this volume has the chapters with the chibi puppets and also the chapter where Bossun turns into a little kid.
Sket Dance is doing really well in the weekly rankings in Jump, and I seriously think that this could be the next big hit. I mean, sooner or later the main series will end and something needs to carry the magazine afterwards. (lol for some reason while typing that I thought of the Prince of Tennis English manga's line "You can carry Seigaku!" I love how I can relate everything to PoT in some way.)

Weekly Shounen Jump 2008 issue 12 - This was the major thing I asked her to get! See, this is in some ways my dream Jump issue- Prince of Tennis is on the cover and has color pages, and Sket Dance has color pages in the center! My favorite issue of Jump in a really long time. As soon as this ToC was announced on the Jump LJ community, I immediately said "I have to get this issue!" And while searching around the web for some way to get this issue, I realized that it was the issue for the week Sarah was going to NYC! SO LUCKY! 8D
It's pretty significant because it's basically Prince of Tennis' final Jump cover, not the final color pages because it's possibly going to get more of those next week, but it's probably the last cover it's going to get. I think it should definitely get the cover on it's final issue - all series that I've seen end in Jump haven't, but those have been canceled rather than really ended, and PoT has been running for 8.5 years - but it's probably not going to in favor of another cover for One Piece/Naruto/Bleach. >_<
I love the cover, with Tenimuhou!Ryouma and everything. I was really worried that somehow it'd look bad, with either something else taking over a huge part of it, or just a bad drawing- I mean, in the back-to-back double issues for Christmas and New Year's, the art wasn't really that good. However, this cover turned out to be really good. And the color pages inside...I love the two-page spread! With Tenimuhou!Ryouma on the left side with the green spiky-ish hair and green eyes (...last week when I read this chapter I immediately thought 'Super Saiyan!') and that cool look, and the text on the right side over the stands. Some of the volume covers are taken from chapter covers, there haven't actually been that many chapter covers lately so I hope the cover for volume 42 could maybe be the picture of Ryouma here. (On that note, I've been checking the Shueisha website for news of volume 41, and while they started listing it last week they didn't put a release date. However, the color pages in this issue of Jump say that it's coming out March 4th. That's only like a week and a half away! Definitely buying that when I get the chance.) I should set the two-page spread as my laptop background, when I get tired of the Sket Dance wallpaper taken from the color page in the same issue.
Speaking of which, the Sket Dance color page is nothing too special, but I think I'm just unconsciously comparing it to the last two color pages- one of which had the Sket Dan exchanging outfits (Switch was crossdressing as Himeko, thankfully with sweatpants under the skirt...xD) and the other had them dressed up in ninja outfits. xD
Also, the color page for Sket Dance says that volume 3 is going to be released April 4th.


I really wish there was a Kinokuniya in Boston. Apparently the one in NYC was huge, and I want to go so badly~ @_@ My parents say that maybe we could go to NYC over a long weekend and merge that with a trip to visit my stepsister and her husband and baby daughter (they live pretty close to NYC). I'm so excited~~
(Though, you know, I should be even more excited for my one-month trip to Japan this summer. xD While I'm there I'm definitely going to go for a ton of H!P merchandise...do they have an official store anywhere near Sapporo? xD That's where I'm going for the three-week homestay...and the last week is sight-seeing with the other kids from my school.)

No comments: